We made hot air balloons for Summer’s first birthday and I thought I’d share this fun project. It turned out to be a great preschool activity for Gemma and the hot air balloons were pretty for the parties and now hang in our playroom!
What you need:
- tissue paper (10 sheets per balloon)
- white school glue
- strawberry baskets
- hot glue gun & glue sticks
- thread or fishing line
- sewing needle
1. cut tissue paper into small squares about 3″x3″
3. mix white glue with water to dilute
4. dip tissue paper squares into glue/water mixture and place them on balloon, layering until covered. Gemma loved this part!
5. allow balloon to dry for about 24 hours or until tissue paper is fully hardened
8. after balloon is dry, use a sewing needle to pierce the top and attach a hanger of thread. Don’t be alarmed if the balloon inside begins to deflate. My balloons deflated a little bit when I pierced them but had no impact on the outer layer we made. If the deflation begins to make your tissue paper layer implode carefully add pressure and reshape.
9. use same process to attach thread at bottom of balloon; tie to strawberry basket to attach
10. add decorative ribbon, hang it up and party!